Want to be published as well? Go to http://spectrumpublishing.blogspot.com

Sunday, May 15, 2022

Shih-Fang Wang

Photo by Aihua Gao

My Pleas


More April showers please, rain clouds

The land is cracking from drought

Only you can revive the dying trees 


Lend me your petals, May flowers

I want to adorn my poems with your colors

To purge the gray from my melancholy 


Shine your torches on my path, fireflies

The sky is darkened by gun smoke 

Help me to find my homeward way


Sing me jovial songs, robins

Too much cacophony and clamor

From this troubled world


Stay longer if you may, spring

To delay dreadful summer fires and

Horrendous storms owing to men’s greed


Don’t leave me, my plea to you, peace

I need to sail through a world 

Full of turmoil and chaos




from the Kingfisher archive

Black Soil


This spring don’t expect 

Flowers will bloom in May

On this war-torn black soil


Even weeds won’t survive

Since April showers were replaced

By rains of bombs and bullets


The land is charred 

Fields are pitted by blasts

Covered with rubble

A scene bleaker than winter’s


This land used to grow lush plants

Now occupied by many new graves

Buried war victims who nurtured 

And enjoyed their blossoms before


Black soil is more precious than gold

Crops and flowers flourish the best

Yet it elicited the hatred of invaders 

Resulted in this devastating war 

 



Photo by Aihua Gao

May Flowers 


Quietly buds pop out under spring’s wings

Then suddenly flowers burst 

Everywhere in the wild fields

When weather is warming up


Fully bloomed like billowing skirts 

Blossoms rival to show their passion

Seductively they dance with breeze 

Before vernal season is over


Returned birds sing gaily

In celebration of spring

Bees and butterflies

Lured by colorful sights 

Forage in blossoms collecting nectar


Nature however is indifferent

Beauty of May flowers is ephemeral 

Just like our vibrant youth 

Vanished before we would let go


When summer sun scorches

Harsh wind blows

Petals are ripped away 

Then settle to earth

Leave their legacy for new lives


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mary Mayer Shapiro

Artwork by Anna Broome Cemetery The cemetery is outside of the town, located on the hilly side, encircled with a fence. People were dying to...