Want to be published as well? Go to http://spectrumpublishing.blogspot.com

Monday, May 16, 2022

Hedy Habra

Artwork by Anna Broome


Encounter in the Yellow Hour

You’d think we’re about to engage in an elegant minuet, right hands
raised in the ritual sequence of honor, yet her left hand waves the
bouquet of wildflowers away from me as mine struggles to hold
down my vest blown by the wind: but wait, rewind the tape to when
I first saw her walking towards me, as though floating in that sea of
wheat, holding wildflowers gathered just for me, for she must have
mistaken me from afar for a pirate with my kilt and wide-brimmed
hat: how I fooled myself, falling into my own trap, a motionless
ready-made, unable to take her into high seas like a one-legged sailor,
nor make love to her in the golden swaying waves of wheat, I, the
trickster would-be scarecrow won’t come to life like the fairy tale
frog, even the scorching heat won’t cast away my self-inflicted spell:
this is the end of the minuet, the last farewell steps of the ritual
sequence of honor, she’ll let the flowers scatter in the wind, the still
dance lasting for an instant merging end with beginning.


First published by Poetic Diversity: The Litzine of Los Angeles,
From Under Brushstrokes (Press 53 2015)



Artwork by Anna Broome


Lidless Eyes

It all happened after a furtive tear trickled down followed by a larger
one, raindrops of blue sorrow forming a puddle then a pool,
drowning me and my unborn child, or was I diving into the deepest
of my eyes, undulating in the aqueous humor, eyes wide open,
staring at my baby’s crib suspended in oceanic blue by a long,
stemmed lotus flower sprouting from its center as an umbilical
chord rising towards this iridescent parachute unfolding its pearled
petals in sympathy, and even medusas wearing their mourning coat
slide like a procession of black umbrellas, a silent omen while
anemones’ lidless eyes stare at me as one of their own.


First published by Pirene's Fountain
From Under Brushstrokes (Press 53 2015)


Artwork by Anna Broome


Origin

I have no name, no face, no age. I have lost track of my birthplace: a
grain of sand blown by the slightest breeze, I’ve crossed continents
and shores, flown over dunes and quarries, known the brush of
leaves and grass, even rested in ponds after being swept by crested
tides, always unseen, but never lonely, my edges softened by rubbing
against ruby, garnet, coral, quartz, shells, endlessly smoothing each
other’s skin, surviving the heat of scorching sun drowning in carmine
sea until that last sacrifice on the pyre where our blood melts into
layers and layers of crimson petals opening up in their last frozen
gesture. Is anyone aware that I am forever prisoner in that translucent
flower.


First published by The Smoking Poet
From Under Brushstrokes (Press 53 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mary Mayer Shapiro

Artwork by Anna Broome Cemetery The cemetery is outside of the town, located on the hilly side, encircled with a fence. People were dying to...